Friday, April 9, 2010

It begins...

So...met my boyfriend, Sean, in August and learned he was a triathlete. I have been a runner most of my life but was intrigued by the idea of multisport events. Running I do, biking I did (and we all know the saying) but swimming terrified me. Don't get me wrong, I could get from point A to point B, but it wasn't gonna be pretty. And it was exhausting. Triathlon? Interesting, but not for me thanks.

Or was it...

When I returned to visit Sean two weeks later, he raced in the Orillia Triathlon. It was so much fun to watch, but I had a feeling of discontent at only being a spectator. Crazy, I know, but I was always the one racing, not watching. And so the idea was planted in my head. I would come back next year and race. Just gotta figure out how to swim...efficiently...with my face in the water...gulp.

It was a process, but with guidance from Sean and help from swimsmooth.com I got in the pool. I am a bit of a stubborn person and I had decided that swimming certainly wasn't going to get the better of me. I spent at least an hour a day for a week in the pool taking baby steps. I felt like an idiot. A grown woman teaching herself to swim, I looked ridiculous I'm sure. But I did it and within a month I was able to swim a continuous mile.

Trained over the winter without much direction but a focus on running as its my comfort zone. Also, I am running a 25k race the beginning of May. Realized an unfocused training plan probably wasn't going to get me where I wanted to go. Started getting regular workouts from Sean and began journaling in March. It was around this time that I got the notion that I might be able to do a half-Ironman. So to be honest, Sean is doing the Peterborough 70.3 and I don't know if I can handle the spectator thing again...

I promise I'm not insane. I just like to challenge myself. Alot. True, I don't actually own a bike yet nor have I ridden one in years but I'm not worried. It has got to be easier than doing two hour workouts on the stationary bike at the Y...right? Okay, so I might be in a little over my head, but how do you know what your limits are if you never test them?

Altered my diet, eliminating processed foods and sticking to whole grains and got serious about training. Too serious. Burned out after two weeks of 6 days running and 3 each swim and bike workouts, not to mention a full-time, on my feet job. Yes, Sean, you were right. I should listen to you more often as you have been doing this much longer than I have. It's just not my way. I have to figure things out for myself. I'm sorry. Thank you for loving me anyway :)

More conservative training plan with more quality workouts that require less time. SO MUCH BETTER! It's hard but a lot better for me.

Enter blog. Listening to Sean this time and posting my workouts here. Hoping it will give me the insight I need to go 70.3 on July 4!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." -- Juma Ikangaa

Thanks for reading,

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment